Saturday, 11 October 2014

Week 5

The first test of this course was on Wednesday. There weren't a lot of practice problems first, so I had to look at the exam from previous years in the exam repository. I got stuck on question one for a fairly long time. The question was to find the area that must not exist in a Venn diagram given a statement. I had a really hard time to find out the area until I tried to negate it first. After negation, the statement becomes three statements joined by disjunction,  so I know that none of the three statements could exist since they would make the negation true. A lot of problems are easier if you approach from a different perspective, like by proving if n^2 is odd then n is odd; if you try using contrapositve, the question would become much simpler.

Anyway, the real test was much easier than I thought it could be, since most of the questions on the test resemble the sample test on the course website. The only problem I had was giving an example to question four, because I have a hard to think about these questions in term of the real life examples instead of just plain variables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment